May 30, 2011

When You Don't Like Your Child: Extreme Parenting with the Difficult Child--Part 3


If you are just joining us, please link over to Part 1 (or scroll down) to catch up!



The AWESOMENESS That We Call Keaton:

Today I wanted to tell you all the great things about Keaton and having a child that is Difficult. The blessings that have come as a result of this child are amazing. Quite unfathomable actually. God is doing things for good that I may never know about or understand. Of the things I can see already, here are some of them:

-Humility. Oh, boy. There have been so many things that he has done that have humbled me. Let alone the fact that I thought "I would never have a child like that" has humbled me in a new way. I am less quick to judge as I know that things are not as they may seem.

-Fun. I know I wouldn't have ever laughed as much or been quite as adventuresome if it wasn't for Keaton's personality.

-Homeschooling. God might still have led us to do this, but Keaton's personality was a strong influence on this choice. Homeschooling him has been extremely difficult and I reevaluate it often to see if this is what God wants at this time for this child and our family, but the benefits have been amazing. I would never imagined enjoying it so much and the opportunities it provides.

-Food. Two + years ago when we drastically changed the way we eat for my thyroid health, we were amazed to see that it improved Keaton's "quirks" a bit too. Now we don't only consider food benefits for myself, but how it effects our whole family. I'll post more on this soon!

-Prayer. This boy gets me on my knees...often. I can be at such a loss to do with him, that I have had to turn to the Lord many times. So many others (especially in our church and Bible Study) are alongside of us praying for him and wisdom as we parent. My relationship with the Lord has grown as we have spent time together and He has amazingly answered so many prayers.

-Our wonderful church. This one doesn't even just include the church that we are at now, but also the one we went to before we moved! I have been amazed at the love that has been poured upon us as they see our struggle and have encouraged and blessed us with their kind words and actions. Not just to Tim and I either, but also to Keaton who is more difficult to love. I am amazed.

-Potential. The potential we (and others) see in Keaton is so encouraging. When he is having a good day, it is easy to see the leader that God is molding him to become. He can be so compassionate, caring, helpful, creative (the picture above was him doing a charcoal drawing at the park last week), problem solving, brilliant and loving. It is truly wonderful to see glimpses of this and to think of all the men throughout history who were difficult or not accepted as children, but later grew to make HUGE differences in our world.

-Other kids seem easy. I love this one...our other kids seem SO much easier! As Keaton has always been in his "terrible twos", the difficult days with each of our other kids pale in comparison.

-Working out problems, not avoiding them. If Keaton had  not been homeschooled, I would not have had to deal with his problems as much. Having him around constantly has FORCED me to deal with him and myself-which leads to the next point...

-Spiritual growth. Never have I ever been so enraged and angered by someone in my life. The impatience, and unloving side definitely rears it's ugly head when backed into a corner! God has slowly shown me the areas that were (and still are being worked out!) deep in my heart that He wanted to deal with. It is true...you are not born with patience for this kind of a child (or a lot of children in your family), it is grown through practice.

-Knowledge growth. It amazes me how much I have learned in my pursuit of trying to understand and deal with Keaton. Books, books and more books! Not only has this benefited me intellectually (it's easy to feel like you have "mommy brain" often, isn't it!), but also our whole family as I have learned new things and better ways for our family to live. I have loved it, even when what I have learned has caused us to make changes that are difficult.

-God is In Control. God loves Keaton far more than I ever could. God has him in our family and us as parents on purpose and for good (which Tim is so sweet to remind me often!). God has not forgotten or left us to our own ways. No matter how hard I try or how much I learn, Keaton is his own little person who will make his own choices and God is taking good care of him. I love that God has a plan that is far grander than I could ever imagine.

There is so much more here than I could describe, but I would love to hear from you what good God has taught or shown you from having a Difficult child, or just from having any child-cuz let's face it...parenting is tough stuff! =) 

Ephesians 3:16-21
"I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.


Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. "



Link over to read the other posts in this series:


When You Don't Like Your Child:
Extreme Parenting with the Difficult Child




2 comments:

Kari said...

Not quite on the topic of Keaton, but the Scripture you posted just really touched me! I've been having such a difficult month, and it just really hit home! Thank you!

Unknown said...

I think the biggest thing God shows me, over and over (I'm ten and a half years into this mama thing now) is that I have the potential to be patient, though often I'm not! I really need to work on that! He also shows me that patience does not mean letting the kids just do whatever, that's the big struggle for me now - I need to "pull in the reigns" so to say! big challenge!